Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Reading Notes: Reading A: Europa’s Fairy Book


For my final week of reading I choose to pick an author I have become very familiar with from the readings in this class. I should not have been surprised to find that Joseph Jacobs had written another book for the European reading unit. The book is called Europa’s Fairy Book and consists of five stories for the first part. What I really enjoyed was getting to hear some Disney classics, like Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast from a different (probably the original) storyline. In the story Cinder-Maid, I liked how instead of a fairy godmother helping Cinderella out, it was a tree and a bird that her mother had been buried under. It gave a little more of a connection to the mother. I also was surprised that Cinderella father did not die in the story. Instead he just seemed to let the step-mother and two step-daughter treat her poorly and did nothing to help her or stop them. A different perspective could be told of what the mother thinks when she is up in heaven watching after her daughter and trying to help her out. I think she would be very cross with her husband and maybe plan to get Cinderella away from all of them. I really enjoyed the last story, The Earl of Cattenborough. In the story, the youngest son gets the family cat when he parents die and the cat takes very good care of him. The cat is able to help Jack convince the King that he is a noble with his own castle and land so that the King marries his daughter off to him. What I am curious about in the story is why the cat was so helpful to the youngest son. Did his parents tell the cat to make sure and take very good care of him? Did Jack treat the cat so well when he was younger that the cat felt that he owned something to Jack? These questions could be answered in a story that was a prequel to The Earl of Cattenborough.


A black cat in a meadow. For some reason black cats have always been my favorite and this is how I pictured the cat in the last story. Source: Wikipedia by Colleen Martin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Story: Where are the parents?

Hi, my name is Ella. I am ten years old, and I have a little brother that is eight years old named Kit. This is the story of how our parents...