Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Reading Notes: Reading B: Europa’s Fairy Book


For the second part of Joseph Jacobs book, Europa’s Fairy Book, I was surprised to find a couple of stories that were very familiar to me. In the story, Inside Again, a man helps a snake but the snake is very hungry and wants to eat the man. The man tries to convince the snake that he should not because he saved him. The two continue to argue until a horse and dog agree in the favor of the snake but before the snakes eats the man a fox comes in and tricks the snake, where he ends up back under the rock. The man is supposed to give the fox two chickens but his wife convinces him to trick the fox instead and the fox gets eaten by a dog. This is one of the stories that I remember reading before but could not seem to find it back in my journal I take notes in. I am pretty sure in the other story the fox does not end up being eaten though, which I think makes for a happier ending. A common theme with both stories is a sly fox is the one who comes up with the clever idea. I have not made a story about a fox yet and with this being my last story I really want to create a fox that is not so sly. I was really confused in the story, The Swan Maidens. A poor young woman is whisked away from her sister because a hunter thinks she is beautiful and wants her to marry him and steals her road of feathers so she cannot escape. After being married for some time and having children her daughter finds her feather road and so the mother leaves and returns home. The hunter then goes off to find her and when he finally done the King gives him the daughter back to be his wife. The confusing parts of the story for me was, what happened to the children while the parents were gone? Did they just fend for themselves? A story could be created to explained what the children did while their parents were away, maybe a not so sly fox could help them out. 


A fox in a meadow. Source: Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Story: Where are the parents?

Hi, my name is Ella. I am ten years old, and I have a little brother that is eight years old named Kit. This is the story of how our parents...